As a senior in high school, 25-years ago, I worked alongside the stepdaughter of Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist Brian Lanker. She was the photo editor for the student newspaper, I was the photo editor for the yearbook. We were both effectively on each other’s staff at any given time.

Standing on the sideline of a Friday night football game with my Canon AE-1 Program and 135mm f2.8 lens, waiting for the action to get close enough for me to shoot, Julie walked in with a Nikon F3 and 300mm f2.8 over her shoulder, and a Pulitzer Prize winner carrying her bag.

I honestly never had the guts to even talk to him.

Lanker was larger than life to me. As a junior I had gone from thinking that photography was a fun hobby to defining myself as a photojournalist. I had gone from just taking photos for the paper and yearbook, to pursuing a career in the field. And here, in my backyard was one of the greats. Lanker’s Pulitzer photos were eye-opening. Not just because of their content, but because to me they were proof that even the smallest event was a story that could have impact on people’s lives.

Before he’d ever walked onto that football field, before I’d even realized who Julie’s dad was, I was aware of Brian Lanker. I knew he’d turned our local paper, The Register-Guard, into one of the “best photo papers” in the country when he came there from Topeka, Kansas. I knew that the inspiration I got from looking at the photos in the paper every day was in part because of his influence there.

But the story does not end there. I graduated from high school I remained in Eugene for a couple more years attending community college, doing a little freelance work, consulting at my old high school as mentor for students following me. I still never got the guts to call Lanker.

But in 1990, the year after his I Dream A World book was published (I raced out and bought it at the Boston University bookstore as soon as I could scrape up the cash) I had an assignment in my newswriting class. I had to interview someone famous in my chosen journalism concentration. The broadcast majors called the networks, the print majors called the Globe, I called Eugene.

I told Brian Lanker, in a cold call, about my high school years, those football games, and I asked if he could spare some time when I was home for spring break? And he did. For over an hour, both sides of the tape in my mini-recorder, in his living room, he let me ask him the most mundane questions a wide-eyed college kid could ask. He told me his life story. He told me about the idea to do I Dream A World. He talked about the Pulitzer, about coming to Eugene. About fighting to change the culture of the paper. About shooting the Sports Illustrated swimsuit issue.

I can honestly tell you I have no idea what grade I got on the story. I can tell you that Lanker wrote me back when I sent him a copy and thanked me. That experience has stuck with me for 20-years, the Pulitzer Prize winning photojournalist who was willing to give me of his time to inspire me in my career.

The odds of me ever winning a Pulitzer are pretty low I suppose. But one thing I do know. I will never hold back from providing an aspiring visual journalist with as much of my knowledge, experience and passion as I can share.

27 Responses to “In Memory of Brian Lanker”

1. Thanks for sharing your memories of Brian, Sean. What an amazing talent he was!

2. Congrats to Chelsea!

3. 交易软件错误

4.   Vernita Pleet

Hey I was just looking at your page on my Pure phone and I was wondering how well it will work on the new ipad coming out . Fleeting thought. Anyway thanks!

5. I have found me arriving at your website more often until this goes to are generally just about every day right now!

6. We are delighted which i found this brilliant website. i would like to thank you for all the period together with energy you have placed into this. I’ll keep coming back once more, Thanks

7.   Gene Longiotti

Excellent read, I just passed this onto a colleague who was doing a little research on that. And he actually bought me lunch because I found it for him smile So let me rephrase that: Thanks for lunch!

8. Florida Lock & Key 3620 Manatee Ave W Bradenton, FL 34201 (941) 748-5625

9.   Charles Daigre

Thriller Videos are always great, i love those dancing zombies _

10.   Winford Culkin

Hi,I read your posting entitled Maraton DHL » Blog Archive » Finish Maraton 2008. Start Maraton 2009.Im trying to find this idea for a long time and you finally ease my confusion. Thanks,Kasey

11. Any way I

12.   Cecelia Hunkin

After such a loss, it sounds about right to me. Being at peace with it is a very good place to be.

13. I like what you guys are up also. Such intelligent work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :).

14. I want to voice my passion for your kind-heartedness supporting all those that really need help on this one niche. Your very own dedication to passing the message all around has been remarkably effective and have constantly helped associates just like me to achieve their desired goals. Your personal insightful report means this much to me and substantially more to my office colleagues. Thanks a ton; from each one of us.

15. Its great as your other posts : D, thanks for putting up.

16. Superb resources!! Wish I could find more knowledge like this from others:D Thank you!!

17. Real truth be told, the parts chosen within the commercials, are probably the most irrelevant splits while in the photograph, and considering that the commercials make the image look random and funny, why would not you would like to appear it? For those who need to knowledge it although, you should not have superior expectations coming in however, since the film plausibly will disappoint you. Following all, the toon Television is terrific, why should not the film be just as good? They produced these kinds of a major ad campaign, and experienced a ton of promotions, their commercials ended up funny however random, and hi there, it’s a Simpson’s flick! I do locate the beginning on the photo instead ironic, wherever the Simpson’s family are sitting within the flick theater watching an Itchy and Scratchy film. Homer then stands up during the center with the photo, and asks why they had to shell out to glimpse a photo they could see for totally free on a flick. Then he goes on to mention that everyone in that viewers is actually a sucker, than he points for the screen, and states specifically you! It’s other, simply because in the stop from the flick, you receive outside of your seat and stretch, reviewing the entire film, and realize he is appropriate, you’re a sucker for watching this flick.

18. Its like you read my mind! You seem to know so much about this, like you wrote the book in it or something. I think that you can do with some pics to drive the message home a little bit, but other than that, this is magnificent blog. A fantastic read. I’ll definitely be back.

19.   href="http://www.findlovesoon.com/index.html">Meet Girls

Nice article, I love the way you got right to the point.

20. I

21. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get bought an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come more formerly again as exactly the same nearly a lot often inside case you shield this hike.

22. Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

23. I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out proper here. The sketch is attractive, your authored material stylish. nevertheless, you command get got an impatience over that you wish be turning in the following. sick definitely come further earlier once more since exactly the same just about a lot often within case you shield this hike.

24. I am very happy to read this. This is the type of manual that needs to be given and not the random misinformation that’s at the other blogs. Appreciate your sharing this greatest doc.

25. Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.

26. Sorry for the huge review, but I’m really loving the new Zune, and hope this, as well as the excellent reviews some other people have written, will help you decide if it’s the right choice for you.

27. Zune and iPod: Most people compare the Zune to the Touch, but after seeing how slim and surprisingly small and light it is, I consider it to be a rather unique hybrid that combines qualities of both the Touch and the Nano. It’s very colorful and lovely OLED screen is slightly smaller than the touch screen, but the player itself feels quite a bit smaller and lighter. It weighs about 2/3 as much, and is noticeably smaller in width and height, while being just a hair thicker.