Search

NPPA Files Joint Brief With RCFP & Other News Media Groups Supporting Right To Photograph Government Horse Roundup

September 13th, 2013 by Wills Citty and tagged , , , , , , , , , ,

Today the NPPA, along with the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and supported by other news media organizations, filed a legal brief in support of a photojournalist’s claim of a right to access wild horse roundups on federal land.  The Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals is set to again consider whether the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) violated wild horse advocate Laura Leigh’s First Amendment rights when it  restricted her ability to photograph a 2010 horse roundup.

Leigh was trying to take pictures of BLM personnel corralling horses in the Nevada scrub when officials demanded she stay in designated public viewing areas.  The views from these locations were obstructed, and Leigh’s wasn’t able to get the pictures she needed, according to court documents.  Monitoring  how the government handles these roundups is important, as they involve removing a vulnerable species from it’s natural habitat.

In the days following the incident, Leigh sought an injunction to prevent the land bureau from restricting public access in the future.  Since then, the case has seen its share of legal wrangling.  The injunction has been alternatively granted and overturned on several occasions.  Now, the appellate court that sent the case back to the lower court last year is set to hear it again.

Though the case involves a relatively specific issue, it implicates a privilege of paramount importance: the right of the press and public to monitor the government.  More specifically, this case is a matter of the extent of access the press and public should be allowed in pursuing that privilege. “Government activities need press access and review, particularly where they occur in remote and deserted locations that the public is unlikely to frequent,” said  Jean-Paul Jassy of the law firm Bostwick & Jassy LLP who authored the brief along with Kevin L. Vick of the same firm, with input from Gregg P. Leslie, Legal Defense Director for the Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press and Mickey H. Osterreicher, NPPA general counsel.

Like many First Amendment liberties, the right to access government activities is not absolute.  Certainly, some government actions involve serious danger or demand confidentiality to the extent that some restrictions are reasonable. The courts have developed a test for balancing the government’s interest in keeping people away from certain situations against the people’s right to know (usually provided by press coverage) in seeing what their government is doing.

Articulated in Press-Enter. Co. v. Superior Court of California for Riverside Cnty., 478 U.S. 1, 8,  the “experience and logic” test considers 1) whether the activity in question has historically been open to the press and general public and 2) whether public access plays a significant positive role in the function of that activity.  The stronger these questions are answered in the affirmative, the heavier the burden on the government to demonstrate an “overriding interest” that warrants restriction.  The government also must show that these restrictions are narrowly tailored to serve that interest.

In the case at hand, the lower court found that 1) wild horse roundups have traditionally been open to the public and 2) open access plays an important role in “protecting the interests of the overpopulated horses and news gathering for the benefit of the public.”

However, the court ruled in the government’s favor.  The U.S District Court judge found that the access restrictions were warranted by concerns over safety and effective horse gathering.   The NPPA and Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press strongly disagree. Our objections were outlined in the brief to the Ninth Circuit:

“The court afforded too much discretion to the Government to decide whether observing the gathers was safe, without recognizing that journalists routinely – and critically – face far more dangerous situations on a regular basis without official interference or protection.  [T]he court below denied meaningful public and press access to the horse roundups, while sustaining unconstitutional restrictions on such access.”

The press groups contends that the restrictions as they stand do not allow meaningful access to the roundups.  Photographers simply cannot get adequate images from the locations they are relegated to.  Further, the government has not presented convincing evidence that the roundups are dangerous to the point that such restrictive locations are needed.

This is especially so, the brief notes, because viewing “large, remote operations like wild horse roundups is not an option for most people,  [and] the media act as public surrogates, conveying those images to a vast public audience and enabling the public to satisfy its civic duty in monitoring the government.”

“The BLM restrictions on access are very similar to those used to limit recording police activity in public places as well as being analogous to the right of access to courtroom proceedings,” said Mickey H. Osterreicher. “We also pointed out to the 9th Circuit in our argument and with an appendix of photographs, just how uniquely important and compelling visual images are to the newsgathering process,” he added. “We are hopeful that the Court will take judicial notice of that important distinction in our favor,” Osterreicher added.

Laura Leigh is represented by Gordon M. Cowan. His brief may be read here. The other news media organization that joined in the brief were: the American Society of News Editors, The Association of American Publishers, Inc., the First Amendment Coalition, Battle Born Media LLC, the Los Angeles Times, the Student Press Law Center, the National Press Club, National Public Radio, Inc., The Nevada Press Association, the Reno Gazette-Journal, The Seattle Times Co., Stephens Media LLC and the Society of Professional Journalists.

Posted in Access, First Amendment, First Amendment rights, National Press Photographers Association, News Photography, Newsgathering, NPPA, photographers, Photographers' Rights, photojournalism, Regulations limiting photography, Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press | 56 Comments »

56 Responses to “NPPA Files Joint Brief With RCFP & Other News Media Groups Supporting Right To Photograph Government Horse Roundup”

1.   casinoswe.com Says:

I know this if off topic but I’m looking into starting my own weblog
    and was wondering what all is needed to get set up?
    I’m assuming having a blog like yours would cost a pretty
    penny? I’m not very internet smart so I’m not 100% sure.
    Any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks

2.   low ridge clock house Says:

I believe that avoiding processed foods may be the 1st step to lose weight. They will taste great, but highly processed foods currently have quite small vitamins and minerals, generating you eat much more just to have enough vigor to get throughout the day. In case you’re constantly eating these foods, changing to grain and other complex carbohydrates will aid you to have far more vigor even though having less. Thanks alot : ) for your weblog post.

3.   Stephan Specking Says:

We love our Kindle Fire, but as many people have said it has some drawbacks when compared to the iPad, especially on size and power. But I’m impressed with the new specs of the Kindle Fire 2 with the 10inch screen. Some of the new specs are at kindlemad.com and I think they will be opening up pre-orders soon.

4.   Nigel Beasly Says:

for those of us just getting begun, is there any chance of getting some on the letters mailed in the past?

5.   Daniela Fridge Says:

(This prophecy, by Benjamin Franklin, was made in a CHIT CHAT AROUND THE TABLE DURING INTERMISSION, at the Philadelphia Constitutional Convention of 1787. This statement was recorded in the diary of Charles Cotesworth Pinckney, a delegate from South Carolina.)

6.   Micheal Londono Says:

I don’t feel Biscayne would have been out there being a two doorway Hardtop, probably a regular 67 Impala, Then, I believe, 61 Valiant, 67or68 Mustang, 63ish Chevy II, VW microbus, 62ish Falcon in regards to the exact yr or 63 Rambler Classic. Then my eyes give out

7.   fund Says:

I

8.   name Says:

some styles of demucilaging machine to remove some but not all of the mucilage before drying the beans. In at least one mill in Costa Rica, for example, honey ,

9.   Alyson Dublin Says:

My husband and i were comfortable when Emmanuel could round up his inquiry through the entire ideas he acquired from your web site. It’s not at all simplistic to simply continually be releasing secrets and techniques which usually other people have been making money from. So we do understand we have got the writer to be grateful to for this. All the explanations you made, the straightforward web site navigation, the friendships you will give support to create – it’s got most excellent, and it’s helping our son and the family do think this theme is brilliant, which is certainly unbelievably essential. Many thanks for all!

10.   Florida Lock & Key Says:

Florida Lock & Key 3620 Manatee Ave W Bradenton, FL 34201 (941) 748-5625

11.   Kelley Conterras Says:

…liberals… liberals… liberals employed by private enterprise (or “job creators”).

12.   name Says:

at my lab. This time round we tasted espressos at his place, located in a wonderfully relaxed mixed residential and light industrial area in the Silicon ,

13.   Tashia Foshie Says:

[...] discussing Aceves usage and health, and late last week, Mike looked at how Aceves has had few clunkers that inflate his numbers. As Ace has been outpitching his FIP all season, Mike noted, this period of mediocrity could just [...]

14.   part time jobs for highschool students Says:

I usually don

15.   oferty Says:

I

16.   Referencement 390 Says:

Great blog but honestly the sheer amount of Ads.

17.   name Says:

cut through the sweetening, muffling impact of the milk better than medium roasts, especially if these darker roasted coffees were high-grown and already ,

18.   name Says:

In recent years there has been a revival in home roasting what was originally a necessity has now become a hobby. The attractions are four-fold enjoying ,

19.   Louis Azotea Says:

You knucklehead! Thanks for the tribute but Im going to be riding a Vespa, sipping hot coffee, and cheering while YOU and the others are walking your feet off! Kudos to you Buddy-Boy!

20.   rozliczenie pit przezinternet Says:

Utterly composed content material, thank you for entropy. “The last time I saw him he was walking down Lover’s Lane holding his own hand.” by Fred Allen.

21.   name Says:

Bourbon is distinctive, or at least it can be. Regrettably, all coffees from trees of the Bourbon variety in a given crop year do not appear to clearly ,

22.   Flo Pettet Says:

These templates appearance awesome. I’ve an awesome idea for 1 of them.

23.   Isabella Says:

Children with disabilities

24.   name Says:

prevented the formation of large farms. Smaller farms and more egalitarian conditions ameliorated unrest over the th and th centuries.,

25.   name Says:

we were not able to use more than eight grams of ground coffee in these cups competing designs allowed us to use up to twelve grams. Other consumers with ,

26.   name Says:

for her they tasted like “cardboard and water.” She added that she would prefer to remain anonymous, however, because “Those Starbucks people are everywhere.”,

27.   Gavin Says:

I’d like to pay this in, please

28.   Gianna Says:

Will I have to work shifts? tvporn
    i finally figured out why i like porn so much. Its because of hot ass fuck girls like her i have to watch.

29.   Independent milwaukee Girls Says:

I have simply no, zero, nunca interest in any civvie relationship. Been through it, carried out that will, several times. I am at the time playing where I know whom I will be, what I would like as well as are entirely comfortable with myself over it. Virtually every person that means something in my opinion is aware, too, and it is great with it.

30.   SustainableEnergy Says:

Great

31.   angielski Says:

Check it yourself http://www.taern.com

32.   Kitchen Design Says:

I

33.   ogloszeniowy serwis Says:

Im not going to say what everyone else has already said:D but I do want to comment on your knowledge of the topic:) Youre truly well-informed:) I cant believe how much of this I just wasnt aware of:)

34.   firany na przelotkach Says:

Check it yourself http://www.taern.com

35.   technology in education Says:

Heya i

36.   Interactive Learning Says:

It

37.   Vinyl Wall Art Says:

I’ve been absent for some time, but now I remember why I used to love this website. Thanks , I

38.   name Says:

In diarrhea was estimated to have caused . million deaths in people aged and over and . million deaths in children under the age of . Oral ,

39.   name Says:

warfare infective dosage is the number of infective doses per minute for a cubic meter (e.g., ICt is medium doses – min/m?).,

40.   name Says:

question as to whether a particle size patent is sufficient protection against the manufacture of generics. Pertinent questions include whether may ,

41.   name Says:

drawing water into the bowels). In healthy individuals, too much magnesium or vitamin C or undigested lactose can produce osmotic diarrhea and distention of ,

42.   Quintin Pauline Says:

Gotta wonder if he experienced attended a couple of extra briefings, he would have experienced a better thought what the so-called “Arab Spring” really was about. Gotta contemplate if we’d have two a lot less lifeless ambassadors as nicely…

43.   Chester Saraceno Says:

He is an idiot…I do not drink but will toast within the night with the election his defeat.

44.   name Says:

theobromine, paraxanthine, liberine, and methylliberine can be found. The concentration of theophylline, an alkaloid noted for its presence in green tea, is ,

45.   name Says:

Coffee roasting produces chaff and smoke, and should be done in a well-ventilated area, which is often difficult to accomplish in a home environment. Coffee ,

46.   Blake Says:

I stay at home and look after the children http://www.skyroad.com/swaps-fixed-income/ methotrexate b12 For other members not covered by the DEL benefit:

47.   Sue Snellman Says:

I

48.   https://www.rebelmouse.com/thebloodpressuresolutions/ Says:

The potassium chloride brings about a individual to create saliva and boosts the style of foods considerably in the same way salt does. If employed to excess, potassium chloride can go away a bitter aftertaste. A person-50 teaspoon of salt substitute equals the potassium observed in 1 massive banana, one particular-fifty percent wintertime squash and a person cup of orange juice or one big potato. A phrase of warning about potassium chloride salt substitute. You need normal working kidneys so that the excessive potassium is excreted. A substantial potassium amount in your system is as perilous as large sodium.

49.   Real Estate Websites Says:

Hello, i think that i saw you visited my blog so i came to

50.   Floor Plans Says:

I like what you guys are up too. Such smart work and reporting! Carry on the excellent works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my web site :).

51.   Vinyl Flooring Says:

Magnificent website. Plenty of useful info here. I am sending it to some buddies ans also sharing in delicious. And certainly, thank you for your effort!

52.   Living Room Ideas Says:

Heya i

53.   Christmas Vacation Says:

I really appreciate this post. I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Bing. You have made my day! Thx again!

54.   Sean Morelos Says:

Thanks , I’ve just been looking for info about this topic for a while and yours is the best I have found out till now. But, what concerning the conclusion? Are you sure about the source?

55.   潜水泵 Says:

excellent issues altogether, you just gained a new reader. What might you recommend in regards to your put up that you just made a few days ago? Any certain?

56.   hale-namiotowe-wynajem.litery-swietlne.pl Says:

identify some types spatial letters . structure produced XPS . they have a lot of pluses , extremely light, thanks properties raw , of I are done. cover with any shade . SubTotal can be used both on the facades object as and in spaces. Putting Location fa