Search

Charges Against 2 Student Journalists Dropped in Atlanta

October 15th, 2012 by Joan Blazich and tagged , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Charges against two student journalists arrested while covering the Occupy Atlanta protests last year have finally been dropped. College journalists Alisen Redmond of The Sentinel at Kennesaw State University and Judith Kim of The Signal at Georgia State University were arrested by police on November 5, 2011 on charges of “obstruction of traffic,” even though both women were standing with a group of other media reporters on a street that police had already closed to traffic.

Atlanta Mayor Kasim Reed announced the decision to drop the charges on October 13 during a conference held by the National Association of Hispanic Journalists. When asked why he had failed to address the matter sooner, Reed responded that “he had not heard anything about it in the press or from his assistants.” Upon learning that the charges had been dropped, NPPA General Counsel Mickey H. Osterreicher said, “we applaud the city’s actions and hope this incident will serve as an example to others that it is never too late to make sure that justice is served.”

Osterreicher had sent Mayor Reed a letter on October 1 asking him to dismiss the charges against the students. Among other things, the letter, written on behalf of The American Society of News Editors, The Reporters Committee for Freedom of the Press, The Atlanta Press Club, Cable News Network, Inc., The American Society of Media Photographers and The Student Press Law Center, urged Mayor Reed to “use your good offices to help seek an immediate dismissal of these charges in the interest of justice.”

An even earlier letter from The Student Press Law Center’s Executive Director Frank LoMonte was sent on November 7, 2011. In that letter LoMonte asked Mayor Reed to “immediately initiate an investigation into the circumstances of these student journalists’ arrests, and that you instruct the Police Department to withdraw all charges against the students and against any journalist whose ‘crime’ consists of standing on public property non-disruptively gathering news.”

NPPA has repeatedly pointed out to numerous groups and law enforcement agencies that actions by officers to interfere with and detain those engaged in Constitutionally protected activity under color of law is wrong. The NPPA has also strongly objected to journalists being harassed, intimidated and arrested while covering news stories because they were not considered to be “properly credentialed” by the police.

Posted in Assault on Photographers, Attack Photographers, detained, First Amendment, First Amendment rights, National Press Photographers Association, News Photography, Newsgathering, NPPA, Occupy Wall Street, Occupy Wall Street Arrests, photographers, Photographers' Rights, photojournalism, Police, Recording Police, Student, students | 55 Comments »

55 Responses to “Charges Against 2 Student Journalists Dropped in Atlanta”

1.   buyers agent Says:

Hi theге, I check your new stuff on a regular basis.
    Your humoriѕtіс style іs awesome, kеep
    it up!

2.   Leighann Woodfolk Says:

Perfectly pent subject matter, Really enjoyed looking through.

3.   Carletta Hightower Says:

I think you have observed some very interesting details , appreciate it for the post.

4.   Aletha Colindres Says:

Pues que tengo un sobrino que no llega a la cincuentena. Joven y con más de veinte años en la enseñanza secundaria, se llame como se llame ahora. Y me dice, Tita, los institutos de hoy no se parecen en nada a lo que eran cuando yo comenzaba. Era un casi imberbe y echaba varias horas todas las tardes-noches repasando, preparando, corrigiendo -el chaval es vocacional, con doce años ya quería ser profe de instituto- y me consta que es querido donde estuvo y donde está. Pero me están quemando con napalm -continua- cada día. No es ni la mitad de las clases, pero en cada una de ellas hay cuatro o cinco hijos de las mil p que no solo no hacen nada (bueno) sino que se las valen y se las arreglan para destrozar, destruir, aniquilar todo el esfuerzo que pongamos el resto de los alumnos y yo mismo. Y la palabra mágica que se utiliza ahora hasta el hartazgo el ¡motivar!.

5.   name Says:

Below, roast levels and their respective flavors are described. These are qualitative descriptions, and thus subjective. As a rule of thumb, the “shinier” ,

6.   IBM 000-122 Says:

000-122 Power Systems with POWER7 Common Sales Skills -v2
    Guarantee your IBM 000-122 exam success with our Exam Resources . Our IBM 000-122 exam are developed by ExamKiller experience’s IT Professionals working in today’s prospering companies and data centers. All our IBM 000-122 exam certification including real exam questions which guarantee you can 100% success IBM 000-122 exam in your first try exam.

7.   Referencement 51 Says:

Great blog but honestly the sheer amount of Ads.

8.   Peggy Jacobsma Says:

We are happy that we observed this excellent weblog. i wish to thank you for all your period and hard work that you have put into this particular. I will come back once again, Thanks a lot

9.   Cedric Sheward Says:

Wohh precisely what I was wanting for, deems for placing up. “The only mode of conscious a human being is always to amative them with no prospect.” by Walter Benjamin.

10.   Maren Cherian Says:

Thank you for posting this, Its just what I was browsing on bing. Id very much rather hear opinions from an individual, rather than a corporate web page, thats why I like blogs so much. Thanks!. amazing stuff thanx pleasing pleasing terrific.

11.   Jaden Says:

Do you have any exams coming up?

12.   name Says:

Ten years ago, of course, the majority of Brazils in a cupping of this scope would have been presented at a much darker degree of roast than were most of the ,

13.   Devon Gronquist Says:

Finde nette Flirts ab 50

14.   name Says:

A French press requires coffee of a coarser grind than does a drip brew coffee filter, as finer grounds will seep through the press filter and into the ,

15.   name Says:

certified, was sourced through Cafe Femenino, a program that assists low-income coffee producers who are women, and , additionally donates a generous ,

16.   name Says:

earnings. The United States imports more coffee than any other nation. Inthe average person in the United States consumed . kg lbs of ,

17.   Logan Says:

I’d like to take the job

18.   program pity 2014 Says:

Wohh just what I was searching for, thank you for posting.

19.   http://psngamertags.com/groups/get-the-best-home-repair-in-jacksonville-florida-right/ Says:

There is a variety of eѕcorts inn Perth are long-time resiɗеnts of the town.
    An hkme improvemeոt in jacksonville, florida evening
    spent with such a sexy Pariѕ escort, then yoս must be very well behaveԁ.

Ƭhree” provider” andd home improvement in jacksonville, florіda
    a station wagon and also a range of radaг detectors.

20.   kitchenlayout Says:

I loved as much as you’ll receive carried out right here. The sketch is tasteful, your authored subject matter stylish. nonetheless, you command get got an nervousness over that you wish be delivering the following. unwell unquestionably come further formerly again as exactly the same nearly very often inside case you shield this hike.

21.   Anonymous Says:

Excellent conclusion:) I am forwarding this to my readers as I am sure they will benefit from it!

22.   piosenki dla dzieci Says:

Check it yourself http://www.taern.com

23.   Automotive Repair Says:

Well I really liked studying it. This subject procured by you is very constructive for correct planning.

24.   bathroom design Says:

You are a very capable person!

25.   name Says:

As a person’s temperature increases, there is, in general, a feeling of cold despite an increasing body temperature. Once the new temperature is reached, ,

26.   name Says:

that is effective at decreasing food intake does not significantly increase heart rate. Also, an article published in the Annals of Clinical ,

27.   name Says:

peeling, or yellowing of your skin or eyes, trouble swallowing or breathing, dark urine, or fever, stop taking and call your doctor right away or get ,

28.   celebrity fashion Says:

hello there and thank you for your info

29.   dekoracja scian, Says:

Check it yourself http://www.taern.com

30.   budowa domu koszty Says:

Check it yourself http://www.taern.com

31.   William Says:

An envelope http://www.sectoris.com/sectoris.html motilium pharmacy of everything you will learn is professionalism. We as pharmacists are entrusted by those we serve and by

32.   name Says:

—Leonard Rauwolf, Reise in die Morgenlander in German,

33.   name Says:

Colombian and awarded it a rating of . I recall that, around the same time, an Eight O’Clock Colombia sample also did very well in a Consumer ,

34.   name Says:

Pouring coffee in the Arab village Abu Ghosh, Israel,

35.   Cecily Dossey Says:

Awesome List, I was contemplating how I could promote my small business additional, I had believed off printed leaflets, cards, etc but totally failed to imagine of newspapers and cars.. Silly me now to determine the costs, think locally will be better. Nationally will charge a fortune!

36.   Mathew Bline Says:

What

37.   rebelmouse site Says:

The the vast majority of elderly Us citizens create substantial blood stress. The several years of nutritional abuse at some point normally takes its toll. Before prolonged, medical professionals will inform you that you have superior blood pressure and need to consider medication for the relaxation of your daily life. I motivate my patients to do what it usually takes to normalize their blood pressure so they do not have to have treatment. Prescribing medication for higher blood force has the influence of a authorization slip. Treatment has a minimal outcome in cutting down heart attack incidence in people with large blood force for the reason that it does not take away the fundamental difficulty

38.   Commercial Real Estate Says:

I don

39.   Timothy Sherbert Says:

As well as ca change, plus ca reste le meme chose. Change several of the names and particular entire world events, and this short article might have been written in 2012. Anti-semitism is here forever. No amount of public shaming will wipe it out, alas.

40.   dr adel Says:

Boka tid direkt via webben på länken nedan. Du kommer att se lediga tider för 45 dagar framåt. Är tiderna slut? Du kan ringa oss eller maila oss.

41.   Gift Ideas Says:

Good

42.   teaching jobs Says:

If you’re still on the fence: grab your favorite earphones, head down to a Best Buy and ask to plug them into a Zune then an iPod and see which one sounds better to you, and which interface makes you smile more. Then you’ll know which is right for you.

43.   Sarina Roadarmel Says:

I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I’ve incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :).

44.   Floor Plans Says:

hello there and thank you for your info

45.   Ronnie Montrella Says:

Terrific report.Substantially because of yet again. Amazing.

46.   Luetta Rozar Says:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! By the way, how can we communicate?

47.   Referencement 432 Says:

48.   Anja Hellweg Says:

I need to do a reside webcast, but I can not discover how to do it on the Blogger program. Can anybody give me some direction?.. Thanks!.

49.   Teach your dog tricks Says:

Greetings from Carolina! I

50.   Ryann Shaftic Says:

Good

51.   Anonymous Says:

Mira el partido de Camer

52.   Real Estate Coaching Says:

Thank you for the auspicious writeup. It in fact was a amusement account it. Look advanced to far added agreeable from you! However, how could we communicate?

53.   Bernie Weiter Says:

I enjoy the efforts you have put in this, thank you for all the great articles.

54.   descenso del sella Says:

descenso del sella

55.   chicago web design Says:

Hands down, Apple’s app store wins by a mile. It’s a huge selection of all sorts of apps vs a rather sad selection of a handful for Zune. Microsoft has plans, especially in the realm of games, but I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the future if this aspect is important to you. The iPod is a much better choice in that case.